Thursday, February 16, 2012

Welcome

Hello and thank you for visiting my page.

For the project I will do an analysis of how blogs affect the reader in a positive or negative way.  I have been following a few blogs for the past two years and my personal experience has been great.
But now that I am working on the project and thinking about blogs in depth, I can see some flaws on the blogs I have read.  For example, from the reader point of view: How much trust or credibility can one put on what is being read? or what are the blogger's credentials that make them a trusted source of information?

I would also like to talk about the blogger's responsability and ethics when providing information/opinions to the users.

I will keep you posted on any new information.

Good luck!!

Jennifer

4 comments:

  1. I'm fairly new to blogs and that thought actually came across my mind as well when I first created a blog for this class. Of course you're going to find something to read about but what is the credibility of the information which you have found. The posts maybe be greatly opinionated and it may not be what you're looking for.

    I think blogs are just another way of expressing your views about a certain topic, event, etc... and every time you read a blog you should always be aware that this is the blogger's point of view. For example, someone may disagree with something and they can strongly blog away negatively about it and the reader may be influenced by the blogger. There could be a solution to this, may be have some sort of rating for a blogger but even that would violate each blogger. After all the bloggers are posting their own view and you can't tell them that they are wrong. It seems to be a difficult problem to be solved.

    I wish you best of luck for this project!

    ReplyDelete
  2. As long as the reader keeps credibility in mind they 'should' be able to judge if there is a bias. Anything that is presented to me as being 'factual' I look at it skeptically, but also try to keep an open mind. This goes for blogs, websites, news reports, newspapers, wiki's etc. I like to have additional independent sources for information that matters. I try to keep the philosophy "Everyone has a Bias.", But sometimes I fall into the trap of 'Believing what I want to Believe." And many times people fall into that trap also.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm not a big fan of wiki's or blogs simply because I'm not big on social sites like that. Blogs don't hold my attention and wiki don't provide the truth I seek but that is just my opinion.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think this is a nice term paper subject! I think that the whole class will be able to relate to this subject as we, ourselves, have to create a blog, and therefore analyze this media closer. The ethics part of your paper is even more interesting. Since we cannot really regulate the content of blogs, we need people to act ethically. I look forward to here more of your insights on the subject matter.

    Good luck on your work!

    ReplyDelete